17 Comments

1. Kate Omalley
    January 9, 2020 @ 9:02 am

Thanks sherll for answering my post. This is my first year winter sowing because of you. You are so enthusiastic. I am now getting sprouts…so excited. I think you may live on the same city as me. Maybe we are neighbors.

2. penelope k
    January 9, 2020 @ 9:02 am

wow you have so much to juice

3. Kanzee
    January 9, 2020 @ 9:02 am

Excellent….i didn't know cucumbers are antiinflammatory….wonder how these would work with someone with Fybromanagia ?

4. NorthEasternGardens
    January 9, 2020 @ 9:02 am

I am trying to understand what is winter sowing about this? we are way past winter and it looks like most of this was recently planted.  Do you keep them outside all winter?

5. NorthEasternGardens
    January 9, 2020 @ 9:02 am

My neighbor grows Armenian cucs 🙂 unfortunately I have to tell you they have very little taste and not really like other cucs… Regular cucs are so much better tasting and even they stopped growing them this year.  They are huge indeed, bigger then zucchini and anything else you would grow.  I would actually say they look more like zucchinis inside and out.

6. Rick's backyard garden
    January 9, 2020 @ 9:02 am

Beautiful plants Sheryl and a nice selection! You have some work ahead of you to transplant all of those plants. This is my first year of winter sowing and I only did 15 milk jugs. I'm really happy with the results as nearly all of my jugs sprouted seeds. Thanks for sharing! Rick

7. Tina Rucker
    January 9, 2020 @ 9:02 am

I would love to come up your way to see your awesome gardening Technics so pretty there

8. eveny119
    January 9, 2020 @ 9:02 am

(Sheryl, Cover those beans  1" under soil.) My first year experimenting with this method (11 containers) but long time gardener Have been collecting info . I did direct sowing of my sugar snaps and have removed tops- ok for zone 5.  * I'm comparing tomato seed "direct sown" to tomatoes "winter sewn" and tomatoes traditionally" indoor starts". Unfortunately different varieties so Ill base results only on germination and if it gives me a head start on hardening off process. * So far I feel some plants benefit / some do not . Its less work for the gardener,(so far) you can spread out the frantic first week of seed starting. I like the direct sowing a lot but not sure if that big bucket of soil will get warm enough, no tomato sprouts yet, might try some with black plastic. Good points , no grow lights, no drying out, birds didn't eat the pea seeds. ** * Tips: If you have extra containers cut off tops and tape 2 longer bottoms together, make holes in both. Gives extra head room for large leafy greens. Don't discard opaque containers, use them for the bottom container only and top with a clear container. So far so good. Elaine

9. usandcrew
    January 9, 2020 @ 9:02 am

I love the mini direct sowing with the peas! I want to use that next year!

10. Plant a Garden
    January 9, 2020 @ 9:02 am

Another great video thank you Sheryl! =)

I just thought of a good idea Sheryl maybe we should write the name and date on the duct tape, instead of the jug, so they don't get filled up with names and dates! =D

You should try Kentucky Wonder beans, they are my favorite, they are delicious. 🙂

11. Sue Miller
    January 9, 2020 @ 9:02 am

I like those tubs. Now will those tubs be your whole garden? Or do you plant in the ground also?

12. gardner guy
    January 9, 2020 @ 9:02 am

That's the way beans sprout, FYI. No need for more soil.

13. Mell Mystique theMystiqueLife
    January 9, 2020 @ 9:02 am

You should share in the Growth your own food project group on Facebook

14. Catalin Oancea

Nice! Good job!

15. Grizzleface
    January 9, 2020 @ 9:02 am

Sheryl! Use Windows Movie Maker to edit. It's free, and quite easy to use. Plenty of videos on Youtube to help you out too. Best program to use if what you want to do is simple.

16. Melissa NOYB

Hi Sheryl,

How many drainage holes did you drill on the 5 gal buckets? What size of the drainage holes were they? 1/4" or 1/2"? Are they all at the bottom or are some on the side near the bottom too? I have several buckets that I need to drill drainage holes soon, and I don't want to over drill them lol

17. Paul Good
    January 9, 2020 @ 9:02 am

greetings from NE Ohio. your garden is looking good. I planted my peas and spinach (direct sow) two weeks before St Patrick's day and they are doing great along with my kale and cabbage. my mini green houses are doing well two. I still haven't had a chance to get a face book page been to busy working and gardening. keep up the great work and vids.